Committed to Serve
Allan Shatkin is the son of Jewish working-class parents who sacrificed much to make sure their children succeeded in life. They taught Allan the value of hard work and the importance of civic responsibility, advocating for young people and giving one’s elders the respect and regard they deserve.
No stranger to public service, Allan was a three times elected senator in the Legislature of the US Virgin Islands, from 1985-91. Here, he created and oversaw multi-million-dollar departmental budgets, chaired the Senate Public Works Committee, and the Education Committee where he crafted important education policy legislation.
Allan’s life experiences have reinforced his belief that our elected representatives are, first and foremost, public servants. It is not a phrase he uses lightly. To Allan, TRULY serving the public means being accessible, transparent, accountable and adhering to the highest ethical standards.
A retired educator, Allan is committed to quality education and equal opportunity for all young people regardless of race, ethnicity, family history, national origin, age, economic status or gender. His background has given him a deep appreciation of the importance of protecting the rights of working people so that they and their families have the opportunities needed to enjoy a better quality of life.
Having visited over 45 countries and lived in Africa, Asia and the Caribbean, Allan values the blessings his family enjoy as residents of Monterey Park and he is committed to protecting those blessings for all who call this city their home.
Allan is an accomplished pianist, musician and recorded composer. He and his wife, Wenling “Wendy” Yang, have proudly called Monterey Park their home for more than a decade. They take great pleasure in helping others succeed and regularly enjoy hosting in their home and mentoring students from China.
Personal & Professional Highlights
- Monterey Park Traffic Commission
- Monterey Park Community Participation Commission
- President, Bright Star Educational Services, Monterey Park
- Santa Monica College Personnel Commission
- Member, Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)
- Commander’s Award for Public Service, Department of the US Army
- Senator, Legislature of the US Virgin Islands
- Master of Arts, New York University
- Member, American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers
- Member, National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners